Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Revisiting Lawrie

At this point my obsession with tracking Brett Lawrie's call-up is approaching something unhealthy.  I monitor his references in Twitter, have a Google Alert to e-mail me news and blog mentions in realtime, and refresh our fantasy league page at least fifteen times a day looking for news or updates.  Now that he's back on my roster it's unnecessary, but I continue the unyielding vigilance.

Like my earlier frustrations over missing out on Hosmer and Trout on day 1, I have an unrealistic mental picture of what's going to happen when Lawrie makes it into the Blue Jays lineup.  I'm unable to shake the nagging feeling that he's going to defy every odd and statistic about rookie batters and just obliterate the ball, steal twenty bases in two months, knock in forty runs, and make me feel good about my desire to remove both Crawford and Teixiera from my keeper list.

This is, of course, not going to happen, but I think even a tempered outlook is still generally positive for fantasy purposes.  By most accounts he'll end up batting "in the middle third" of the lineup, so 4-6, which is nice.  He has some power, some speed, and most importantly qualifies at second base right now.  Who could have anticipated a Rickie Weeks injury?  I'd had a hunch last weekend that the call-up was pending, so I'm glad to see increasing rumors regarding a promotion next weekend.  And I know it's a rumor on the rise because I've witnessed literally every twitter comment, random dark-internet subforum post, and regurgitated fantasy blog entry on the matter, and could meticulously detail its crescendo.

With Lawrie and maybe one trade to solidify my pitching, I'd feel fairly confidant heading into the H2H playoffs.  Here's to hoping some owners check their teams or e-mail this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment